Friday, February 15, 2013

And then there's Kitty.

When I think about one of the many people and things that helped keep me and sustain me out of the bubble, I always think of Kitty. For those of you who don't know, Kitty is a 12 year old white Lab. I always thought she got her name because Whitney always wanted a cat, but the Mayor was highly allergic to cats. So Kitty was the compromise. Whitney now tells me that is not how she got her name. And since my memory lately is shorter than my height, I have no idea how she did get her name. But Kitty she is.

When we first got Kitty, she was Whitney's dog..and the Mayors. And that was fine with me. We had two other dogs at the time, and with that, 4 children, school, and dealing with you-know-who, my life was busy enough. I did go and take her and Whitney to Doggie obedience school. I did feed her everyday, as I did the other dogs. But Kitty's loyalty was to Whitney and to the Mayor. I guess she considered me like a "Dog McDonalds" ...I gave her the food quickly, and she ate it quickly. (Labs eat as if they haven't eaten for 3,445 years...even though they might have had a treat 45 minutes ago. The idea of grazing and leaving food out does not happen in lab land).

When I left our house that the Mayor and I owned together, Kitty did not go with me. After all, she was more his dog than mine. Neither Dena or Whitney knew about what was going on with us at this point, and  I wanted to keep it that way until I could figure out a way I could fix this. This, of  course, is what I did. I fixed things so that everyone would be happy.  At least that was my plan in life. The fact that I can't fix anyone or make anyone happy did not occur to me at this point.

Well, I couldn't fix this at all. It finally got to the point (after the Mayor used the girls as if they were pawns in a chess game) that I needed to let Whitney know what was going on. At this point, she was in England, going to school .Dena was in Belen, living her life with her husband. So I told Whitney. Her biggest concern was that Kitty was still with the Mayor. After all, Kitty was her dog. So with much drama, and people, and police involvement, I went to get Kitty and Sophie..who was staying with him since I had surgery during all this period of time. (Yes, I know, when it rains, it pours).



Kitty and I didn't know each other well. She and I and Sophie moved into our librarians' house (stop 3 of my homeless spring tour of 2008). I took her to the Vet, because she had a massive ear infection. Then I did the only thing that I could do at this point in time. I walked. I walked Kitty. A LOT. I knew that the Mayor did take her out from time to time to run on the Mesa. I felt badly I had snatched Kitty away from the only home she knew. So we walked. And walked. And walked. Sophie walked too, but she was pretty arthritic by this time, and couldn't go super far. But Kitty and I did. And we did it day after day..hour after hour..sometimes three or four times a day. Sometimes it's all I could do, honestly. But I did discover a lot about how amazing the world actually was on these walks. I was so busy keeping the bubble intact for myself all those years that I never really stopped to just look...and listen...and I had a LOT of time to think. All this walking, looking, and thinking were the first steps on the road to healing for me.



In May of 2008, Kitty, Sophie, and I moved into our house in Cabezon. It was a wonderful, amazing house. Much too big for two dogs and a very confused Southern girl, but it was the most divinely peaceful place I had ever known for such a long time.  It became the first true home I had since moving to New Mexico, and I had lived here eleven years. No one yelled..you didn't have to worry if someone would get upset about something dorky you said. I could have all the people I wanted over, and I didn't have to worry about "disturbing" or waking someone up. For some reason, if you woke the Mayor up, he would explain that it was like he had not slept at all..and Sleep time for him would have to start all over again. And one did not interrupt his sleep. EVER.

I digress...Back to Kitty.



Kitty and I walked a lot in the Cabezon neighborhood as well. It had wonderful walking paths, with the most magnificent view of the Sandias. This is what I did when I didn't know what to do. And since I didn't know what to do, or how to adjust to this new life most of the time, we walked most of the time. Sophie went with us as well, but not on those long walks in which would help to show me how much of the world I had been missing.

Then we finally moved into the house on Valle Alto..and the walks have continued to this day. Kitty is part of the reason that my life now has the balance and the peace that it does. We have become very good friends, and close companions.

I have had a lot of help getting to be the person that I am today. A lot of the help came from my friends, my family, and the students and staff that I am truly fortunate to work with everyday.
But the biggest help came from a panting, large, white dog, whose consistent love and loyalty got me through a lot of rough days. Her needs gave me a purpose, and the walks and treats gave me a true friend.

Yes, sometimes one of your best friends in life can have four legs and a wagging tail...and a fondness for cinnamon toast.





No comments:

Post a Comment